DIY FLORAL DENIM JACKET
Don’t know about you, but I’m loving the floral feels on denim jackets this winter. Only thing is, I’m not feeling the price tag, so here’s a cheap and charitable way to get the look for a lot less…
Your first step is to find a blank canvas at your local thrift shop…I found two denim jackets for a total of $3.50, and the best part is my little spender bender also helped some local charities! #noregrets
After DIYing two denim floral jackets I think I’ve got it down. Here’s how I patched mine up…
1. Wash and iron the jacket so it’s ready for action
2. Find some patches on Etsy or Ebay..whatever floats your boat. I found some pretty floral ones going for between $2.50 – $4 on Ebay.
3. Iron your fabric patches so they aren’t crinkly.
4. Pin them in position on the jacket and try it on to make sure they’re in the right spot (and try not to jab yourself in the process)! If you’re going with floral patches then try just below the shoulders, or if you’re using a random selection cluster them on different areas of the jacket.
5. Trace around the patches lightly with lead pencil.
6. Fill in the shape you’ve traced with washable fabric glue and place the patch down.
7. Scrape away excess glue from the edges of the patch and let it dry for 24 hours.
8. Handwash very gently in cold water and make sure you don’t touch or bend the patches while they’re wet. Drip dry flat away from direct sunlight.
9. If some edges seem a little loose, hand stitch them in place as needed.
10. Team with a fresh white tee to really make the jacket pop and share your creations with me on Insta using #nevereverpayretail
Outfit 1: Bell sleeve denim jacket – $0.50 @ Salvos Stores Red Hill + ASOS tee – $2 @ Preloved Boutique Morningside + skinny jeans – $10 @ Vinnies Newstead + Portmans belt – $2 @ RSPCA Brighton SA.
Outfit 2: Pale denim jacket – $3 + ASOS tee – $2 @ Preloved Boutique Morningside + skinny jeans – $10 @ Vinnies Newstead + Portmans belt – $2 @ RSPCA Brighton SA.
Photographer: Gabby Lyons
Have you tried patching something up? Give us your pointers below…