All my life I’ve loved the thrill of the chase. There’s something about hunting for treasure that gets my heart rate up. You just never know what lovely little surprises are just around the corner. 99% of my wardrobe is pre-loved and when people quiz me on my get up I often catch myself saying ‘never ever pay retail’.
Here’s 5 good reasons why:
1. Recycle – Evidently if everyone lived the way we do in Australia we’d need more than three planets. Click here to learn about leading a more sustainable life.
2. Chip into Charities – Your retail fix can actually help organisations help those who can’t help themselves. The big names in the thrift arena such as the Salvos, Lifeline, Vinnies, Endeavour Foundation, Save the Children all do wonderful things for the marginalised in our own backyard and beyond and need all the support they can get so treat yourself to a shopping spree!
3. No sweat – Buy second hand and drive down consumer demand for cheap sweatshop goods. Slavery is still alive and well and currently affects more than 30 million people. Employees work between 10 to 18 hours a day and a seven-day working week is becoming the norm during the peak season, particularly in China. The majority of workers in the global fashion industry, rarely earn more than two dollars a day. Read more .
4. Save your pennies – Everyone loves a sneaky retail therapy session…get a new ensemble for a fraction of the cost at your local op shop and don’t lose sleep over your credit card statements. Currently Australians have $50 billion owing on their plastic. Read more.
5. In the words of Fleetwood Mac…’go your own way’. Have your own unique aesthetic without worrying that someone else will be matching you at your next soiree.